Would you like some tips on how to make technology work better for your business? Then you’re in the right place!
Information Technology is a massive set of tools and many of these help out our businesses. Just using them without any real understanding or direction will make them over complicated.
You’ll see elsewhere on this website about how just putting something in place and using it equals it taking over your life!
The key is in understanding – but who’s got time for that?
So this big long list of suggestions for keeping IT simple is not to replace a lack of knowledge. Nor is it telling you what you have to do.
It’s here to give you some starters.
We’ve tried to organise the page in sections.
And, of course, if you’d like to know more about anything here please get in touch
- Sort your email into folders.
- Use mail rules.
- Archive email manually.
- Use shared mailboxes.
- Consider a management solution like “inbox zero”.
- Delete attachments when no longer needed.
- Keep your network really simple.
- Have as fast equipment as you can justify the cost of.
- Put IP addresses on everything.
- If extending/creating new overspec requirements
- Use document redirection on your server
- Keep folder names short
- Don’t use too many subfolders on network shares
- Use as few network shares / folders as possible
- Don’t be tempted to weaken security
- Do you really need that item?
- Have a long think before leasing a large format printer
- Budget for replacements yearly
- More expensive might mean it lasts longer
- Ugly is not the same as slow
- USB sticks are deadly to security